I have been pondering how to make another new baked Basa fish dish and this recipe is a winner with my family. The fish is spread with a creamy mayonnaise based sauce that includes freshly grated Parmesan cheese, herbs and spices and then is topped with panko crumbs giving the fish a crunchy topping. The results were fantastic and the kids really loved it too. I was thrilled! Check out my other delicious Basa Fish Recipes: Lemon Garlic Baked Basa, Basa Fish Tacos, Panko Crusted Basa Fish Sticks and Pan Roasted Basa with Fingerling Potatoes and Onions.
- 4 Basa fish fillets (if frozen, defrost completely)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise (I like Hellman’s 1/2 the Fat)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus a bit more for grating over fish
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne powder
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- a bit of grated lemon zest (1/4 to 1/2 tsp)
- 1/4 cup of Panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs – I find them at the sushi counter at the grocery store)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Line a baking sheet that will fit all 4 basa fillets, with non-stick aluminum foil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pat fillets dry with paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, Parmesan, butter, basil, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne and lemon juice and zest.
- Spread mixture evenly over the four pieces of fish. Grate a little more Parmesan over the fish before you sprinkle with panko bread crumbs.
- In another small bowl combine panko with olive oil and mix lightly. Sprinkle panko evenly over the fish.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then broil for an additional 2-3 minutes to brown the topping nicely.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favourite sides (we had mashed potatoes and asparagus).