It’s another Momstown #FoodFriday so check out my delicious Holiday Hangover Breakfast Strata recipe now posted on www.momstown.ca! Comfort food at its best and perfect for holiday entertaining (or after holiday entertaining!).
I wanted to follow-up my scrumptious Brie Bites recipe with some more easy and delicious holiday recipe ideas as we all gear up for Christmas and New Year’s!
Here are some of my favourite go-to recipes for holiday entertaining . . . .
No-Bake Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares – super fast, super easy, and super yummy (and still my blog’s most searched recipe!)
Janet & Greta’s Spinach and Artichoke Dip – Delicious and a bit healthy! Love it (and you can freeze it and then bake from frozen!)
Cranberry Loaf with Orange Glaze – I love cranberry recipes, and this loaf is delicious (and also makes a nice hostess gift)
Quinoa Salad with Spinach, Red Pepper, Cranberries and Pecans – Perfect for those who want a festive gluten-free side dish and a lovely pot-luck dish!
Kara’s Nacho Dip – Because no matter what time of year it is, everyone loves nacho dip!
Candy Cane Kiss Cookies – Really festive and fun cookies that Santa Loves! (and when I stopped by today my local Bulk Barn was fully stocked with candy cane kisses!)
Crostini with Fig Jam and Gorgonzola – Fantastic (and easy) appetizer to accompany cocktails
Smashed Potatoes – A delicious twist on potatoes that would be fantastic topped with gravy next to the turkey and stuffing!
Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Clusters – Easy (no-bake!) and festive! A fun treat to make with your kids.
And there are too many more other delicious recipes I love to list so make sure to link here to my Christmas recipes and check out all of my favourite Christmastime favourites!
It’s a Momstown #FoodFriday so go on over and check out the scrumptious and easy holiday recipe I created for #momstownholiday!
The perfect festive and comforting coffee house beverage for a cold and snowy day! I am once again featuring products I received from Buy Coffee Canada, including their fresh ground coffee, the Perfect Pod EZ Cup for Keurig and Torani Syrup! The results are fantastic and I am excited to have a delicious festive beverage to serve our guests over the holidays.
- Buy Coffee Canada Kenya AA Coffee (using a Perfect Pod EZ Cup for Keurig)
- 2 tsp Torani Gingerbread Syrup
- 6 tbsp milk
- Brew coffee on small setting to brew a strong cup of coffee (I used the small 7.25 oz setting on our Keurig).
- Stir in 2 tsp of syrup into the coffee.
- Heat milk in a milk frother in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and use the plunger to froth the milk. Pour milk into coffee and then dollop the milk froth on top. (Note: I happen to have a frother, if you do not you can heat milk in a jar and then shake vigorously – there are some great tips online on “how to froth milk without a milk frother”).
Disclosure: This post was written in partnership with Buy Coffee Canada to help spread the word about their product lines. The original recipe and opinions shared about their products are entirely my own.
Moist, delicious and festive orange cranberry sour cream muffins featuring Gay Lea’s decadent Gold Premium Sour Cream, are the perfect beginning to your Christmas morning! In my family breakfast goodies are a must and a tradition on Christmas morning. These muffins are perfect, and include one of my favourite combinations – orange-cranberry all made even better by Gay Lea‘s incredibly rich and delicious Gold Premium Sour Cream (Wow these are good!!!). My darling daughters gobbled these muffins up and loved the special toppings I added that made them extra special. They love the sweet and sour goodness that the cranberries have and combined with orange and sour cream what is there not to love? These baked goodies would also make a lovely homemade gift over the holidays or hostess gift.
Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream is Gay Lea‘s thickest, richest sour cream made with only 3 simple ingredients. I can tell you first hand it is delicious as I made sure to sample a nice spoonful to taste test (so creamy!). I also might have licked the batter off my spatula too (SO good in muffin batter!!).
Be sure to visit www.gaylea.com which includes great recipes and product information. Gay Lea also sends out monthly newsletters featuring great content, tips and coupons! You can sign up via their newsletter web page before December 17th to receive the latest newsletter featuring this month’s feature product: Sour Cream!
Recipe makes 1 dozen muffins.
- 1/4 cup Gay Lea Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest (you 1 orange)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 orange), reserve the other 1/2 of the orange for making an orange glaze
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole cranberries
- For toppings: Turbinado Sugar (to add before baking) OR white chocolate chips & coconut oil (for a white chocolate drizzle) OR icing sugar and orange juice (for an orange glaze drizzle)
- Line a regular 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the 2 eggs and combine well.
- Add orange zest and orange juice and give a few stirs until incorporated.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk sour cream with milk until smooth and set aside until ready to add into batter.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternating with the sour cream mixture in three additions. Combine gently, do not overmix.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Using a large cookie scoop divide batter evenly into the 12 paper liners. Add turbinado sugar to all or a few muffins for a crunchy sugar topping (about 1 tsp per muffin).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before adding white chocolate drizzle or orange glaze (if desired):
For the white chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate chips with a little bit of coconut oil, heating on 15 second increments in the microwave until smooth and the correct consistency for drizzling. You will need about 1 tbsp of chocolate chips for every 2 muffins . . . therefore 6 tbsp for the full dozen. I only used about 1/4 tsp of coconut oil for 2 tbsp chocolate chips, so you should only need about 3/4 tsp for 6 tbsp chips.
For the orange glaze combine 1/2 cup of icing sugar with orange juice from your reserved 1/2 orange. Add in small increments until the desired consistency for drizzling over the muffins.
Note: I chose to do 4 muffins with each topping which turned out really fun and everyone could choose their favourite!
This month Mom Central Canada has got an awesome reader giveaway for you! This month Mom Central Canada will be giving away ONE grand prize! To celebrate all of the delicious ways you can infuse sour cream into fun recipes, we’re giving away a KitchenAid Stand Mixer! Approximate value: $399.99. Mom Central Canada will also be giving away 1 year of free Gay Lea product (12 coupons for free Gay Lea product) to one reader, from each Gay Lea ambassador blog! The giveaway will be open from December 1, 2014-December 31, 2014. Both of these reader giveaways have the following rules: Readers may enter across many blogs, however they may only win on a single blog. Entrants must be a resident of Canada, however those in Quebec are unfortunately unable to enter the giveaway. Winner(s) can expect their prize in approximately 4-6 weeks! Click “Entry” to enter!: Entry
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
When I saw this recipe pop up on Pinterest from Danielle Walker I knew I just had to try it! It is delicious, and perfect for a slow Sunday morning. The hubby loved it and his only feedback was he wanted more : ) I adapted the recipe slightly by adding onion, pre-cooking the potatoes, and making it a meal for 2. I feel you could also throw in a 1/2 cup of chopped red, green or yellow peppers too if you wanted so I may try that next time. I also had no parsley or green onion to garnish with and of course you could add that too. Have fun and give it a try and make it your own! SO good!!!
- 4 slices of good quality bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 2 large eggs (preferably organic free range)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a 12″ skillet on medium heat. Add bacon and cook for 5 min. While bacon cooks microwave potatoes for 3 min to pre-cook a bit (I feel this helps them cook more evenly and faster – but you can totally skip this step and just add to the skillet if you prefer).
- After bacon has cooked for 5 minutes add the potatoes, onion and spices and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper and cook for 15 minutes.
- Crack the 2 eggs into the pan directly on top of the hash, add some pepper if desired, and cover and let cook for 8-10 minutes until whites firm and yolks are still a bit runny. You can leave for longer if you do not like runny yolks.
- Transfer hash with eggs into serving bowls and enjoy!
Gourmet inspired chocolate chunk cookies with chopped pecans and salted caramels! Bake some now, and store some ready-to-bake during the holidays with the help of The Smart Cookie!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoons of hot water
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup of good quality semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup of pecan halves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of salted caramels, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter and sugars together until light and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and combine well.
- Combine the baking soda with the hot water and add the liquid to the cookie batter and combine.
- Add the kosher salt to the flour and whisk to combine, then add to the mixer combining well.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks, pecans and salted caramels into the dough.
- Using a medium OXO scoop (1 1/2 tablespoon capacity) or spoons drop dough onto the baking sheet AND if using The Smart Cookie use 1 1/2 cups of dough to fill the tray and place in the freezer to use later!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden . . . *Note: every oven bakes differently so keep and eye on yours to determine the optimal baking time.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Recipe yielded 16 cookies (using a 1/2 TBSP capacity medium cookie scoop) and 13 cookies using The Smart Cookie. If using the entire recipe with a medium cookie scoop it should yield 32 cookies. Feel free to double the recipe for a big batch for the holidays!
Now to assist with your bake some now, freeze some later strategy (especially for the holidays) The Smart Cookie from Shape+Store is the perfect solution. What I was doing prior to using this product was placing cookie sheets into the freezer, and I have to tell you this is a lot easier (and less dangerous for those unsuspecting family members who opened the freezer!). The Smart Cookie is a fantastic product for forming and freezing home made cookies. With a 1 1/2 cup cookie dough capacity, The Smart Cookie easily divided my dough into 12 (plus 2 halves which I easily melded together to form a 13th cookie) equal easy to remove portions (they just pop right out!). The Smart Cookie is also very easy to clean. Check out the awesome product photos below . . .
I honestly love it – so easy to use. What a great xmas gift idea for the bakers in your family. Check out the Shape+Store website – as you will also see the “Burger Master” which I reviewed last week. Both products are fantastic and together make a wonderful gift idea for the foodies or kitchen gadget lovers in your family.
Disclosure: This post was written in partnership with Shape+Store to help spread the word about their product lines. The opinions shared about their products are entirely my own.