Ok, I am feeling like maybe (fingers and toes crossed) that Spring and some warmer bbq weather is finally coming. So I feel like I can now finally share this recipe, as it is one of my fave side dishes for bbq season. This recipe is a delicious copycat of a take-out salad at my local grocery store. My kids LOVE this salad and we enjoy it as a side dish for dinner, and also for lunch. This is a great pot luck dish, and is perfect now that barbecue season is going to start heating up (power of positive thinking!!). It is amazing for next day leftovers, especially when you toss in some grilled chicken – yum! Use this recipe as a guideline but you can toss in more or less of whatever you like, and could also throw in some extras such as some finely diced yellow or orange pepper.
- 2 cups of Pennette Rigate (mini Penne noodles)
- 1/2 cup of small grape tomatoes (left whole)
- 1/2 cup of diced english cucumber
- 1/4 cup of sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup of finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of crumbled light feta cheese
- Approximately 1/2 cup of your favourite greek salad dressing (I love Newman’s Own Greek with Feta) – add more to taste/as desired
- Some chopped parsley (optional) – I don’t buy parsley exclusively for this recipe but if I have some on hand or ready in the garden then I add some in.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly. Add in 1/4 cup of salad dressing so that pasta does not stick and so some of the flavour will absorb into the noodles.
- Once pasta has fully cooled, toss in tomatoes, cucumber, olives and red onion.
- Add in remaining 1/4 cup of salad dressing and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Add in feta cheese and toss to combine. Taste and add in more dressing if desired.
- Add in chopped parsley if using.
- Salad is ready to eat immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve. This recipe keeps well and is awesome the next day for lunch!