I seem to be having major Spring salad craving lately so I wanted to share this classic go-to recipe with you that my family just loves. This is one of my favourite side dish salads along side grilled chicken or pork, steak or even alongside some fish. It is my take on the recipe that many make and is also found in many grocery store salad bars too. Just love to whip this up for an easy and quick side-salad. It also tastes great the next day for leftovers for work or school lunches.
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup of diced red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 2 heaping tablespoons of raw shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of grated light sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of bacon cooked and crumbled (optional, omit if you prefer a meatless version)
- 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- Toss broccoli, red onion, cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, and cheddar together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, white wine vinegar and sugar until smooth and then stir into salad coating all ingredients evenly.
- You can serve immediately but it is best to let salad sit in fridge for 1-2 hours to let the flavours incorporate.
- Add in bacon right before serving.