I have been making this Tiramisu recipe of mine for years, and recently re-tested it to ensure its deliciousness and accuracy, and indeed still perfect and a dessert that is perfect as a Mother’s Day treat! One of my tricks is that I make a cooked custard vs raw eggs – with young children and eldery guests eating my desserts I just prefer to be on the safe side . . . peace of mind and always delicious!!
Makes one 9 x 13 dessert.
- 6 large egg yolks (reserve whites and freeze if desired for other uses)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1 pound of mascarpone cheese (475g container – regular or light)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package of savoiardi biscuits (you will need 42)
- 1 1/2 cups of strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 8-10 tbsp of kahlua
- Grated bittersweet chocolate (1/2 ounce)
- Begin by making custard required for your mascarpone filling. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan with a wire whisk until smooth. Whisk in milk. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and boil and stir for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
- Pour custard into a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly onto custard. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, but I often prepare this the day before and keep in fridge overnight and assemble the dessert the next day.
- Mix coffee with 8 tbsp kahlua. Taste and decide if you prefer an additional 2 tbsp. Set aside ready to dip ladyfingers.
- Mix custard with mascarpone until smooth (by hand or with a mixer using the whisk attachment).
- In another bowl, beat whipped cream with vanilla until you have firm peaks.
- Fold in whipped cream into custard-mascarpone mixture and fold gently until incorporated.
- Get your 9 x 13 glass/ceramic dish ready for assembling the Tiramisu.
- Assemble first layer by dipping ladyfingers in coffee-rum and placing into the dish. I was able to make a layer of 21 ladyfingers (3 rows of 7 width-wise).
- Spread half of the mascarpone filling over the ladyfingers.
- Layer another 21 coffee-rum dipped ladyfingers on top of the mascarpone in the same direction as the first layer.
- Top with remaining mascarpone filling.
- Garnish with grated bittersweet chocolate (really easy using fine microplane grater).
- Place dessert in fridge to set for a few hours, or until the next day. It keeps very well, and individual portions freeze well also (stored in plastic freezer friendly containers).