This is a delicious winter pasta recipe! Roasting the cauliflower with red onion gives it great flavour, making a fantastic easy week-night pasta toss. Choose your favourite
hearty pasta shape (a penne or rigatoni style works well) in either regular or gluten-free and enjoy a new take on pasta night that the whole family is sure to enjoy!
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into small florets (should yield approx 8 cups)
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher (coarse) salt and freshly ground pepper to season before roasting
- 3 cups of your choice of pasta (I chose my favourite gluten-free ancient grain penne)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup of pasta water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 2 pieces of white toast, toasted and whizzed in a food processor to yield 1-1 1/2 cups of bread crumbs + you will need an additional 2 tsp of olive oil to toast the crumbs . . . yes I know I made gluten free pasta then topped with breadcrumbs but its just a little added texture – and it won over the kids!
- Pre-heat oven to 425 (I used my oven’s convect roast function) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (I prefer to do this to protect my pans).
- In a large bowl toss together the cauliflower and onion with the 2 tbsp of olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Pour veggies onto baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Roast in middle oven rack for 15 minutes, remove, toss to combine, and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, start to boil your water for the pasta of choice and cook your pasta as per the package instructions.
- As pasta is in final minutes of cooking, heat a large skillet on medium-high. Once hot add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the 1/2 tsp garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Lower the heat to low and add the pasta into the pan using a slotted spoon and stir to coat.
- Add the roasted cauliflower to the skillet and toss to combine with the pasta.
- Add the 1/2 cup of pasta water and 1/2 cup of Parmesan and do a final toss to combine all ingredients.
- Optional step – drizzle 2 tsp on the breadcrumbs and toast until golden in oven or toaster oven.
- Serve pasta with with additional Parmesan and a heaping tablespoon of breadcrumbs.