Here is a great new recipe to start off your week – you for sure are going to want to bake a batch of these up asap! These flavour-packed healthy muffins are butter and refined sugar free, and are made instead with pure maple syrup and coconut oil. The combination of mashed bananas, sweet carrot, and tart cranberries is really delicious, and topping the muffins with chopped walnuts gives them a great finishing crunch. These muffins make a great quick breakfast, or side for your morning coffee break. The muffins are also great for school lunches or extra curricular activities – just omit the walnuts.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of frozen cranberries, halved
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with large paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, ground flaxseed, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add in the grated carrot to the flour mixture and toss with a fork to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl whisk together coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, and mashed bananas.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry fully incorporating.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Distribute batter evenly among the 12 muffin liners.
- Top muffins with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pan, then move muffins to a cooling rack.