Halloween is nearly here, and I really wanted to make something spooky and creepy for my little monsters! These Ghoulish Finger and Toe Cookies are fun, colourful and delicious! They are easy to make, and great for the kids to get involved with and create their own monstrous fingers and toes for your Halloween celebrations.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sliced natural almonds for finger and toe nails
- Purple, Orange and Green gel food colouring
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to butter and sugar mixture and combine until smooth and incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter, and beat on low until incorporated.
- Remove dough from mixer and divide equally among 4 bowls.
- Keep one bowl of dough uncoloured.
- To the other 3 bowls add a small amount of gel food colouring (a scant 1/8 tsp) – orange to one bowl, green to another, and purple to the last. Mix until colour is incorporated.
- Form uncoloured dough into traditional “witches fingers” (I used my own finger as a guide – making the fingers 3-4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide). Add a nice pointy nail shaped piece of sliced almond as the finger nail, and then use a knife to form knuckles and wrinkles.
- Use the purple dough to also form fingers.
- Using the orange and green dough form toes – so shorter and wider (approximately 2 /12 inches long and 1 inch wide). Add a nice gnarly toe nail shaped piece of sliced almond and the toe nail, and then use a knife to form toe knuckles and wrinkles.
- Arrange about 12 fingers/toes on your baking sheet and place into the fridge while you preheat the oven to 325 degrees. I find that keeping them cool, helps them keep their shape when they bake.
- Once oven is preheated to 325, move your baking sheet from fridge to oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Keep an eye on it, every oven is different. I use my convect bake option on my oven and it works wonderfully!
- Remove cookies from oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Serve to your own little ghouls and goblins and have a great Halloween!
Recipe makes 21 fingers and 23 toes.