One of my Fall favourites is roasted vegetables. I love collecting an assortment of farm fresh Fall veggies and roasting them up in the the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper. It is like veggie candy to me! The vegetables get caramelized and sweet, and when tossed with quinoa it makes a perfect side dish or weekday lunch – and its gluten free! This tastes amazing warm, room temperature or cold, making it versatile and one of those grab and go options that you can make on the weekend and then have ready for weekday meals. I used a combination of onion, carrots, sweet potato, turnips, zucchini and red pepper, but you can use and Fall vegetable combo that you like – you will just need about 12 cups diced. I then dressed the warm quinoa with my favourite dressing – a simple combination of olive oil, lemon juice and sriracha which gives us a subtle little kick. It is absolutely delicious!
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 3 turnips (or parsnips), diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided) – 2 tbsp for roasting veggies, and 2 tbsp for dressing
- Kosher (Coarse) salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups of no salt added chicken or vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and position 2 racks in the middle section of the oven. If you have the convect roast option on your oven, I highly recommend using that setting.
- Divide your veggies (which should yield approximately 12 cups) between two parchment lined baking sheets (approx 6 cups of veggies per sheet).
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, rotating pans and tossing veggies every 10-15 minutes.
- While vegetable are roasting prepare the quinoa by bringing broth (or water) up to a boil. Add the quinoa, bring back to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Once vegetables are browned and fully cooked remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Prepare dressing for quinoa by whisking together 2 tbsp olive oil with lemon juice and sriracha. Pour over warm quinoa in the pot and stir to combine.
- Toss veggies with quinoa and serve warm or at room temperature.