Making our Thanksgiving a barbecued feast is one of my favourite memories when we get some gorgeous weather lasting into October here in Southern Ontario.
Our BBQ Turkey Breasts that we cooked in 2011 were one of our most memorable Thanksgiving meals, and probably the best turkey we’ve ever had. So in wanting to expand on what we could make on the BBQ for Thanksgiving, I created these delicious stuffed barbecued “candied yams”. Easy and delicious, I cooked and scooped the flesh from sweet potatoes, then mashed it with butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground pecans then topped them with mini marshmallows that puff and brown gorgeously on the grill. Yes they were amazing! The look on my kids faces when they saw marshmallow topped sweet potatoes was priceless. We loved the flavour of the charred barbecued sweet potatoes with the toasty marshmallows – ooey gooey good!
Recipes serves 8 (increase quantities if serving more for Thanksgiving)
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Approx 2 heaping cups mini marshmallows (approx 1/4 cup per sweet potato half – I used 20-25 mini marshmallows per potato half – so you will need about 160-200 mini marshmallows)
- To speed up prep and cooking time, precook potatoes in microwave on high for 20 minutes (my rule of thumb is 5 minutes per potato).
- Remove from microwave and seal each potato in foil for placing on the grill.
- Cook potatoes for 10 minutes on the barbecue.
- Remove potatoes from the barbecue and carefully open foil packages and create a foil “plate” that you will use to put back on the barbecue OR if you happen to have a grilling basket you can use that.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise creating 8 halves, and scoop out almost all the flesh into a bowl leaving a thin layer and the skins intact.
- Combine sweet potato with butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans.
- Spoon mixture equally into the 8 skins.
- Top each potato with a layer of mini marshmallows (approx 20-25 per potato).
- Place potatoes back on grill for 7 minutes* or until heated through, and marshmallows have puffed and are slightly golden.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Note: you can also make the potatoes baking and then finishing them off under the broiler to toast the marshmallows if you do not want to bbq.