Well how is everyone doing this back-to-school week? I am especially talking to all you mom’s everywhere! I know I am feeling some relief in being back to the regular routine. I can tell you that after a fun-filled summer with my darling daughters, I have been enjoying the past two days at home alone in silence. I have also been enjoying treating myself to some yummy creations, eaten at my leisure sitting down the entire time uninterrupted.
One of my favourite comfort foods is salami on rye. Being half Polish, a simple piece of great rye bread, with beautiful salami, a smear of mustard and some cheese and slaw is my happy place. So in celebrating back-to-school I decided to create a salami and rye panini filled with all of my favourite things . . . thin rye bread, perfect salami, sharp mustard, white cheese and some good Polish slaw (pickled salad). Now one of my favourite places to pick up some of these items is my local Polish deli (Euro Market Delicatessen in Burlington). I love looking around and selecting delicious canned goods, perogies, imported cookies and treats, paczki and cheesecake, as well as their assortment of deli items (which of course includes my favourite salami).
Combining all of these ingredients into a warm and toasty panini was delicious – warm and crispy, with sweetness from the slaw, saltiness from the salami, a bit of a kick from the mustard and SO melt in your mouth good! Hungry now aren’t you?
Recipe makes one panini, because I didn’t feel like sharing today : )
- 2 slices of your favourite rye bread (I chose the thinly sliced Munich-Style Rye from Dimpflmeier)
- Butter to taste on bread
- 4 slices of salami (I like kaiser salami from my favourite Polish deli)
- Your favourite sharp mustard (I love Honeycup “uniquely sharp” mustard)
- A slice of mild white cheese
- Polish pickled slaw/salad “salatka obiadowa firmowa” or sauerkraut
- Pickles for serving
- Pre-heat your panini press.
- As your panini press heats up, assemble your sandwich by layering the rye with butter, salami, mustard, cheese, slaw and the second piece of bread.
- Grill your panini for 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted and bread is grilled.
- Slice in half and serve with your favourite pickles.