I can’t believe summer break is nearing its end and the kids will be back to school in two weeks. However, the cool weather here in the GTA the past few days has certainly been reminding me of Fall and back-to-school! This past weekend my family went to the CNE in Toronto, another reminder that summer is coming to an end and that the official start of Fall is less than one month away. As we were walking along the mid-way the smell of the roasted corn filled the air and started inspiring me for my next #GayLeaMom post. As I commented to my family about how I loved the smell of the corn, my oldest daughter piped up and said “Mom why don’t you try making some corn muffins”? Well that was it and my inspiration for this post was born!
Gay Lea has a great spreadable butter that is made by taking traditional creamery butter and adding unsaturated canola oil to make it spreadable. It is not only great for spreading on bread or toast right out of the fridge, it also will bake up great in your favourite muffin recipe. Gay Lea Spreadables Butter has no preservatives, is a source of omega 3 and comes in Regular, Light & Cinnamon Brown Sugar.
Now I think I have found the perfect match for this delicious product, and that is in these buttery cornmeal muffins with cheddar and scallions. The blend of the Gay Lea Spreadables Butter with its colleague Gay Lea Sour Cream, makes these muffins moist and delicious. The addition of some sharp cheddar and scallions jacks up the flavour, and when you try these fresh out of the oven smeared with some more Spreadables Butter, your mouth will be in heaven I promise!
These muffins are great as snacks in school or work lunches, served as a side to your Fall chili, soups or stews (dunk away!), or even eaten with your morning coffee for a savoury snack. You can bake and store overnight, as well as freeze. Just reheat as these are best when slightly warm and schmeared with butter! You can also choose to swap in your own flavour additions, just follow the quantity guidelines in the recipe. Have fun and try some cornmeal muffins this Fall, and don’t forget the Gay Lea Spreadables Butter!
Recipe makes 10 medium sized muffins.
- 4 tablespoons Gay Lea Spreadables Butter with Canola Oil (Regular), melted & set aside
- 6 tablespoons 1% buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Gay Lea Low Fat Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 cup of grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced scallions (green parts only)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a regular sized muffin tin with 10 medium sized paper muffin liners.
- In one bowl combine the buttermilk, egg and sour cream and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold to incorporate.
- Fold in the melted butter.
- Finally fold in the grated cheddar and scallions.
- Using a large (3 Tablespoon capacity) cookie scoop, transfer one scoop of batter into each of the 10 muffin liners.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until tops look firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin tin and let cool for a few minutes on a baking rack.
- Eat warm with some more Gay Lea Spreadables slathered on top!
“Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”