I had a craving for latkes and since it is July I thought what better way to use our beautiful fresh summer zucchini. These delicious fritters are easy to prepare and make awesome appetizers. Using my handy small cookie scoop, I dolloped perfect appetizer size portions into my skillet. These were delicious as is, but topped with rich sour cream (yes that delicious Gay Lea Gold Premium sour cream I used last week for Cucumber Salad!) and chives made these even better and absolutely divine. These are a must make during zucchini season!
Recipe will yield you approximately 20-24 latkes/fritters using a small (2 tsp capacity) cookie scoop.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- Canola oil or light olive oil for frying
- Using a box grater or the grating attachment on a food processor grate zucchini and onion.
- Transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and combine. Let sit for 10 minutes, then transfer mixture to a large sieve and press out excess liquid. Place back into bowl.
4. Add baking powder and flour and stir to combine until you have an even mixture.
6. Using a small cookie scoop (or spoon) drop zucchini latke mixture into pan and cook on each side until golden (approx 2-3 minutes per side). Press down slightly on first flip to make an even “pancake” shape. This will make it thin and crispy and cooked evenly.
7. Remove cooked latkes to a paper towel lined cookie sheet to drain excess oil.
8. Serve immediately with topped with sour cream and chives.
Note: You can also keep warm in a toaster oven or oven until ready to serve. These reheat beautifully so you can also make ahead, store in fridge, and then crisp up in oven/toaster oven. Good luck though because once you try one fresh off the skillet it is hard to stop!