This summertime salad is one that brings back childhood memories for me. This delicious crisp, cool and creamy eastern european cucumber salad was made by my grandma annually every summer to be eaten as an appetizer before your main dish, or to be served as a cool side dish.
Made by slicing english cucumber thin, then salting and draining, and finally seasoning with a sweet and sour combo of sugar, vinegar and sour cream, this dish is summertime in a bite to me.
To make this salad extra special and creamy this #GayLeaMom used Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream which is rich, silky and decadent. Available in a 425ml size it is nut-free and certified Kosher. Sorry everyone but it is only available in Ontario! Gay Lea’s Sour Cream also comes in Regular, Low Fat, Fat Free and Lactose Free – all of which can be used in this recipe in lieu of the Gold Premium.
My recipe serves 4 as a side dish, increase quantities as needed for more.
- 1 large English Cucumber, ends trimmed and peeled
- 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- Thinly slice cucumbers using a mandoline or a sharp knife.
- Place cucumber in a sieve, sprinkle with salt, stir to combine, and let sit for 15 minutes to drain.
- Remove cucumbers from sieve and onto a clean dish cloth. Gently squeeze cucumbers to remove excess liquid. Place cucumbers into a bowl.
- Add sugar, vinegar, and sour cream to cumbers and combine gently. Serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve.
This month there is Reader Giveaway! You have a chance to win one Gay Lea “BBQ Kit” that also includes a one year supply of Gay Lea product coupons! The contest runs from July 1-July 31st, 2015.
Link here to the Reader Giveaway: a Rafflecopter giveaway
The reader giveaway has the following rules:
- Readers may enter across many blogs, they may only win from one participating blog
- Entrants must be a resident of Canada, excluding Quebec
- The winner can expect their prize in approximately 4-6 weeks!
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.