This month’s #GayLeaMom feature recipe is a beautiful classic meringue dessert topped with delicious Gay Lea Light Whipped Cream and fresh red berries! A perfect dessert for summer gatherings including Canada Day!
Pavlova is a meringue based dessert topped with cream and fruit, and I thought would be a great pairing with Gay Lea‘s delicious whipped cream, along with fresh summer berries. Also, I wanted to test out a new red and white dessert that would be great to serve on Canada Day, and this creation will not disappoint!
Gay Lea’s Real Whipped Cream (Regular and Light) is made with real cream, is nut-free and is Kosher and Halal certified. Gay Lea’s Real Coconut Whipped Cream (which would also be delicious in this recipe!) is made with real coconut cream and is non-dairy, lactose and gluten-free. Any of Gay Lea’s three delicious whipped cream products works perfectly for pavlova!
This was the first time I had tried to make pavlova and the results were great, with prep and baking easy. Even better is that you can prepare the meringues in advance and have them ready to go or transport easily to a summer get-together. I love desserts that look impressive but were a breeze to prepare and this recipe is one of those gems you need to add to your repertoire!
Recipe makes 4 individual pavlovas, double for 8, etc.
- 2 egg whites
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites with the pinch of cream of tartar until they hold soft peaks.
- Slowly add the sugar a little bit at a time, and beat on high until the meringue holds stiff and shiny peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the bowl of the mixer and fold in the vinegar and cornstarch.
- Using a large cookie/ice cream scoop, scoop out the meringe into 4 equal portions on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using a small offset spatula round each portion out into a 4 inch circle.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the outside is dry.
- Shut off the oven, open the door slightly (I used my roll of parchment paper to help me with this to keep the door ajar!), and allow the meringue to cool completely in the oven. This should take an hour. Note that it is ok if the meringues crack slightly – don’t worry you will be covering them in whipped cream and fruit!
- Once the meringues are cool remove from oven and transfer to an airtight container until you are ready to use.
- To make the individual pavlovas, transfer a meringue to a nice plate. Top with a generous layer of whipped cream and then with your choice of berries. Serve immediately.
To participate, visit the Gay Lea Facebook page to pick your favourite cow, and milk her twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the evening. The more you milk your cow, the more chances there are to win great weekly prizes. The contest runs from the end May through June.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.