This is an easy and delicious gluten-free pasta dish that is packed with the sweet and salty flavours of bacon, peas, asparagus, sweet onion and Parmesan cheese. This dish tastes great warm, or it can be served at room temperature as a pasta salad for summer bbq season.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups of uncooked macaroni noodles of your choice – I opted for the gluten-free option of GoGo Quinoa Red & White Quinoa Macaroni which I found at my local Costco (turned out great in this recipe!)
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup of frozen small sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, cook bacon and remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble into small pieces once cooled and set aside.
- In the same skillet, drain all but a bit of bacon fat and cook diced onion until golden. Set aside until ready to add to pasta.
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions. With 4 minutes left in cooking time add asparagus to water. Then with 2 minutes left in cooking time add frozen peas.
- Drain macaroni, asparagus and peas using a colander and then transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Toss bacon, onion, extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese and pepper together with pasta and vegetables.
- Serve topped with a bit more fresh Parmesan.
Note: You can also make this without the asparagus and it would be delicious (this was the recommendation from my darling daughter who is not the biggest fan of asparagus!)