It’s a momstown.ca #FoodFriday and today’s recipe is a great on-the-go meal. Trying to squeeze in a healthy meal between school, sports, and activities? Forget drive-through and takeout: Fill these delicious, portable, make-ahead pitas with meat, veggies and flavours of your choosing, ready to grab as you head out the door
These easy, on-the-run homemade stuffed pitas are a great way to pack a nutritious punch and fill hungry bellies. And they are open to endless variations, so you can tailor them to whatever your family likes.
For protein, use fresh or store-bought or leftover chicken, turkey, steak, etc., and create your own dinner on the go by mixing in lots of veggies—cooked and raw—and your favourite flavour combinations—Greek, Caesar, BLT, whatever you like. (Tip: Consider cooking extra next time you fire up the grill, and just store it in the fridge until you’re ready to wrap ‘n’ roll.). These pitas taste great hot or cold.
I chose a Greek chicken pita as that is my family’s favourite, but this could just as easily become a chicken Caesar pita by subbing in Caesar dressing, or a BLT by adding bacon crumbles and ranch dressing.
My kids loved this, and thought wrapping them up just like takeout was so much fun! Home run for Mom!
- Whole wheat pocket pitas
- 400-450g package of chicken tenders (or protein/meat of your choice)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced cucumber (or other veggie toppings as desired)
- Tzaziki, Greek Dressing, Caesar dressing, Ranch Dressing (or other sauce as desired)
- feta (or other) cheese
- Heat a 12-inch skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Saute chicken tenders until golden, seasoning with salt and pepper as desired. Remove chicken to dish until ready to prepare pita.
- Add another 1 tsp oil to skillet, then saute onions and peppers until softened and nicely grilled, and a bit blackened. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Remove cooked veggies to a bowl until ready to prepare pita
- Open pita halfway and pull back the top to create a fillable space.
- Spread tzaziki (or other sauce) over the bottom, then top with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and feta cheese.
- Drizzle with some salad dressing/sauce.
- Top with chicken and a little bit more tzaziki/sauce.
- Layer onions and peppers on top, and then replace top of pita over filling.
- Place the pita on a piece of aluminum foil (approx 10″-12″ long). Fold bottom of aluminum foil up over pita, then roll pita up in foil to create a sealed bundle. Wrap a paper towel around it, ready to tidy up any drips!
Take your pita with you to go. Eat immediately, or throw in the cooler for later. Either way, you have a healthy, homemade meal ready to eat.