Just in time for the May long weekend may be one of my favourite bbq creations yet! These Stuffed BBQ Sweet Potatoes that I filled with sauteed onions, VG Meats amazing beef bacon and cheddar were off the charts. The filling is so great on its own but the added smokiness from the bbq just sends this recipe over the top. Trust me after you make these delicious packets of goodness you won’t go back to any ordinary baked potato!
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 4 slices of VG Meats Beef Bacon (or other bacon of your choice), cooked and crumbled
- 1 cooking onion, diced and cooked in some of the reserved bacon fat
- a heaping 1/2 cup of shredded light sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- a heaping tablespoon of light sour cream plus more for serving
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
- 2 green onions, sliced for garnish
- To speed up prep and cooking time, precook potatoes in microwave on high for 10 minutes (my rule of thumb is 5 minutes per potato).
- Remove from microwave and seal each potato in foil for placing on the grill.
- Cook potatoes for 5-10 minutes on the barbeque.
- Carefully open foil packages and create a foil “plate” that you will use to put back on the bbq.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise creating 4 halves, and scoop out almost all the flesh into a bowl leaving skins intact.
- Combine sweet potato with sour cream, bacon, onion, cheese and pepper.
- Spoon mixture equally into the 4 skins.
- Place potatoes back on grill for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, cheese is melted and starting to char.
- Serve topped with more bacon and cheese, green onions and sour cream.