This is a fantastic “Meatless Monday” recipe for delicious fajitas especially if you love mushrooms. By using meaty portobello mushrooms you get a hearty filling without missing the meat. My husband loved these as well as my eight year old daughter which was awesome! I loved making these quick and easy one-skillet veggie packed fajitas made with minimal oil, using my own dried spice blend, and whole wheat tortillas. The best part is finishing them with all our usual favourites fajitas toppings. Absolutely delish! Aren’t these making you hungry?
For the spice blend:
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt
For the Fajitas:
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 170 g (6 oz) packages of sliced portobello mushrooms (or 2 large caps sliced)
- 1 large red pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced into long thin pieces
- 1 large orange pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced into long thin pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, halved from top to bottom and thinly sliced across
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 package of 10 Medium Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and cilantro
- Combine all of the spice blend ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on Med-High Heat. When the pan is hot add the mushrooms and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the spice blend coating the mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes alone (about 3-5) before adding the veggies.
- Add the sliced peppers, onion and garlic and the remaining spice blend, coating the entire mixture evenly. Turn heat down to medium and cook mixture stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked through (about 10 minutes).
- Serve on whole wheat tortillas, with your choice of toppings. We enjoy ours with shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and cilantro.