I am always looking for ways to introduce more high quality fresh fish into our weekly meal plan to nourish my family and create a balanced diet. My husband is probably the biggest fish lover in the house and he certainly would love if I cooked it more! Well nothing could have made this easier than High Liner’s new Simply Fish line. I have to admit I was impressed and a bit obsessed because we ate three different fish dishes three days in a row! And guess what, we loved them all and quite honestly I am now craving more fish!
High Liner Simply Fish is now available in the Fresh Seafood Department of your local grocery store (Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills, Food Basics – 50 stores in Ontario, Sobeys Quebec, Sobeys West, Metro Quebec, IGA Quebec, Safeway, Freshco, Foodland). It is packaged in a convenient tray with a patented absorbent pad designed to keep the fish fresh until you are ready to use, and you can even marinade and season the fish right in the tray. It truly is a high quality product, made from High Liner‘s finest cuts of fish giving you premium responsibly sourced fish – something that is very important to me when choosing fish at the supermarket.
High Liner Simply Fish, which is available in 6 varieties (Salmon, Cod, Tilapia, Trout, Haddock and Sole), has great health benefits including being rich in protein, containing healthy fats that can help reduce inflammation and having heart healthy omega-3’s.With two busy and growing daughters, an active husband and wanting to keep myself healthy, these benefits are very important to me and are a main reason I choose to serve fish weekly.
When I set out to the grocery store (I found High Liner Simply Fish easily at my local Food Basics), I found the salmon, cod and tilapia, and of course I wanted to try all three! I also wanted to demonstrate that you can make delicious fish recipes easily and quickly. So easy you will choose to eat fish 2-3 times a week instead of your usual weekly “Fish on Friday” routine (which is what I do). The results were three new and delicious fish recipes that I have added to my repertoire, and which I hope you add to yours. They are easy, use staple ingredients from your pantry or fridge, and best is that they are quick and on the table in 20-30 minutes (including the prep time!). That is one great advantage to fresh fish – it cooks quickly making dinner ready in a flash on fish night! High Liner Simply Fish delivers the quality I would expect from a fish counter, but in easy to buy packages that delivered on freshness and results making me confident in making it a product I will choose for my family.
I hope you enjoy these three lip smacking fish recipes. We loved every single one and they will be made again and again in my house!
Crispy Marmalade Salmon
This recipe was inspired by what was in my fridge! I thought hmm marmalade – yummy citrus and salmon is a match. Then I wanted some crunch, so some easy homemade breadcrumbs did the trick. Lovely served with broccoli and some garlic bread for a complete meal. Recipe serves 4.
- 2 x 284 g package of High Liner Simply Fish Atlantic Salmon (4 fillets)
- 4 tbsp marmalade
- 4 pieces of white or whole wheat bread, toasted lightly, and ground in a food processor into chunky crumbs.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place salmon fillets skin side down onto the baking sheet.
- Top each fillet with 1 tablespoon of marmalade and coat evenly.
- Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and press homemade breadcrumb mixture onto marmalade coated fish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until salmon is cooked through and breadcrumbs are golden.
- Serve with your favourite veggies.
Broiled Cod with Lemon, Chive & Garlic Butter
In brainstorming fish recipes I looked to the menus of my favourite restaurants on Cape Cod where we vacation in the summer. One staple is broiled cod, and my re-creation (down to the individual gratin dish) whisked me back to the Cape with the smells of fresh fish bubbling hot in a delicious lemon, chive and garlic butter sauce. Recipe serves 4.
- 2 x 284 g package of High Liner Simply Fish Atlantic Cod (4 fillets)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Zest of 1 medium lemon (approx 1/2 – 1 tsp)
- 6 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Kosher (coarse) salt for seasoning fish + pinch in butter
- Freshly ground black pepper for seasoning fish
- Preheat broiler on high setting and line a baking pan with aluminum foil
- Prepare butter by combining butter, lemon zest, chives, garlic and a pinch of salt in a bowl
- In the package, season each side of the cod with a sprinkle of salt and a few grinds of pepper
- Place each fillet into an individual gratin dish, if you do not have there use a baking dish that will hold all 4 fillets.
- Pour 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice over each fillet.
- Place 1 tbsp of seasoned butter on each fillet and spread evenly.
- Place the gratin dishes on the baking pan and broil for 10 minutes.
- Remove fish from oven and let sit for 5 minutes as it will be very hot after broiling.
- Serve fish with vegetables and some bread to soak up all the buttery goodness!
Easy Tilapia Fish Tacos
Taco night is a weekly go-to in our house. So how about subbing the meat with some fish? These were a hit, and who doesn’t love make your own taco night? The spice rubbed tilapia cooks in 6 minutes, and everyone can top their taco with their fave toppings that you have stocked in the fridge. Easy, fast and kid-approved! Recipe serves 4.
- 227 g package of High Liner Simply Fish Tilapia (2 fillets)
- Tilapia spice rub: 1/4 cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt, 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper, pinch ground cayenne
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for seasoning fish + serving with tacos
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 package of small flour or corn tortillas
- Toppings: sour cream, finely shredded lettuce, guacamole, salsa
- In a small bowl prepare the spice rub of cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Remove tilapia to a plate or season directly in the convenient packaging.
- Season each piece of tilapia by squeezing juice from a wedge of lime over each fillet.
- Sprinkle and then rub a 1/4 tsp of the spice mixture onto each side of the tilapia.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat with the 1 tsp of oil.
- Once skillet is heated fry the tilapia for 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the cooked fillets onto a serving place and flake into chunks with a fork.
- Serve with your favourite taco toppings – ours are lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and a wedge of lime.
- This recipe will serve 2 adults and 2 children, double all quantities if serving to more people.
Disclosure: I am part of the High Liner Simply Fish Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.