I am ready to jump into spring and this is an easy and delicious French-inspired fish dish for Easter weekend or any day of the week.
I like to prepare my salmon simply with salt, pepper, lemon and butter but feel free to add a pinch of your favourite spice (maybe some dill or red pepper flakes to spice it up).
Now, to prepare the vegetables a bit fancy, I used my handy-dandy spiralizer (because I have a kitchen gadget addiction). It is actually really great to make veggie “noodles” and so much fun that the kids love to try it too.
They have become fairly properly recently. (if you are curious, I have this one). It makes long strands out of vegetables and is fantastic to make a beautiful bed of zucchini and carrots for this recipe.
Of course, If you do not have a spiralizer, simply julienne the veggies or slice thinly. Have fun and enjoy making your own beautiful saumon en papillote!
Hop on over to momstown.ca and check out the fabulous (and I think quite chic!) recipe: http://momstown.ca/recipe/breezy-springtime-salmon-packets or see below:
- 1 large zucchini, julienned/spiralized/or thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned/spriralized/or thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- half a lemon, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt & freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and cut 2 pieces of parchment paper to 16 to 18 inches long (about the size of a placemat), fold in half, then cut a large half heart shape. When you open you will have a large wide heart which you will use to package the veggies and salmon.
- In a medium skillet sauté zucchini, carrot, onion and garlic on medium-high heat for 3 minutes until just tender. Season with some salt and pepper as they cook. Remove from heat and place veggies on one half of each piece of parchment.
- Place salmon fillets on top of the bed of veggies. Top each fillet with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, a squeeze from one slice of lemon, 1/2 tablespoon of butter (cut into small pieces) and a few thinly sliced pieces of lemon.
- The final step is to fold your parchment to seal the package. To do this by folding the open edge of the parchment inward and over itself all around the entire edge to make a sealed seam. Once at the end fold that corner under the package. Place the parchment packets on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer package to a plate, rip open with a knife and serve! Enjoy with a nice piece of baguette et voila – bon appetit!