Hooray! Spring is finally here and I am ready to start thinking about sunshine, flowers, Easter and all sorts of delicious springtime things to eat! I have an amazing #GayLeaMom recipe to share today featuring Ivanhoe Old Sharpe Cheddar that is perfect for Easter gatherings. These sweet and savoury Cheddar and Pancetta Scones are light and flaky (thanks to Gay Lea butter of course!) and are perfect for your Easter breakfast or brunch, or simply paired with coffee or tea for an afternoon treat. These are simply delicious thanks to the paring of Ivanhoe’s rich and creamy Old Sharpe Cheddar with the salty pancetta.
Gay Lea’s Ivanhoe Cheese has gained an enviable reputation for its high quality, aged cheddar cheese and specialty cheeses. As the oldest cheese company of its kind in Canada, it still remains a local attraction in the hamlet of Ivanhoe! They produce award-winning artisan cheddars, as well as an extensive selection of specialty cheeses including Naturally Smoked Gouda and flavoured Monterey Jacks. They even offer Kosher and Halal varieties.
This recipe is fast and easy to make and sure to impress. The scones are best eaten the day you have baked them. This recipe freezes beautifully so I highly recommend popping a few completely cooled scones into the freezer so you can enjoy later (if your family doesn’t eat them first!).
Recipe makes 12 scones.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake & pastry flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Ivanhoe Old Sharpe Cheddar Cheese, shredded – plus approximately 1/2 cup more for sprinkling on top of finished scones
- A heaping 1/2 cup of diced pancetta (I used an entire 0.120 kg package)
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
- 2 large eggs (one for the batter, and one for egg-wash before baking)
- Cook diced pancetta until fully cooked and browned, drain, and place on paper towel lined plate to absorb excess fat. Cooked pancetta will yield you 1/2 cup.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
- Sift flours and baking powder into a large bowl, then whisk in the sugar.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture has the texture of coarse meal.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and one egg then pour over the flour mixture, and stir lightly with a fork until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a work surface, and gently knead dough once or twice just to incorporate all of the flour. Pat dough into a 8 inch round and then cut into 12 wedges.
- In a small dish, whisk the second egg in preparation for the egg wash.
- Transfer the 12 wedges to your baking sheet and brush each wedge with egg wash using a pastry brush.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and cooked through, 22 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle each scone with additional cheddar cheese (about 1 tsp per scone), and place scones back into oven for 1 minute to melt the cheese. Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Be sure to checkout the Gay Lea website at www.gaylea.com, which includes great recipes and information on all of their products. You can also sign up for the Gay Lea newsletter which is filled with seasonal recipes, exclusive coupons, lifestyle tips and more: www.gaylea.com/news-views/newsletter
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.