It is almost Valentine’s Day, and I don’t know about you but it’s a busy week getting the kids ready for their classroom celebrations, pulling together a few of my own Valentine’s surprises for my kids, husband, and co-workers, as well balancing the regular weekly classes, homework and housework! So here is an easy Valentine’s dessert idea from this #GayLeaMom that looks and tastes fabulous but is actually a breeze to pull together in a hurry.
The start ingredient in this is Gay Lea’s Real Coconut Whipped Cream. It makes this dessert a “wow”. It is creamy and delicious and elevates my take on this traditional dessert from ordinary to extraordinary. Gay Lea’s Real Coconut Whipped Cream is made with REAL coconut cream. It is non-dairy, lactose and gluten-free but remains 100% delicious. It has a great taste with a smooth, natural mouth feel and exceptional coconut flavour (honestly I like it better than dairy whipped cream!). It is so convenient, just a quick dollop adds tropical flavour and flair to any treat, dessert or beverage. It is also really awesome on waffles with fruit.
To make this dessert quick and easy for anyone to make I bought a delicious pound cake at the grocery store, and then grabbed some strawberries and blueberries. To pump up the coconut flavour I used some Malibu Rum to brush on the cake (this is a trifle of course!) and sprinkled shredded coconut in layers of the parfait. This is really a lovely and romantic dessert to share with your sweetheart. Enjoy & Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Gay Lea Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- Store bought or homemade pound cake or loaf of your choice
- Malibu Rum (recommended but optional for brushing onto cake)
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Blueberries
- Shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened – whatever you have on hand)
- Choose a glass or bowl of your choice that will work for layering. I used a margarita glass.
- Slice pound cake into 1/2″ slices, then cut out hearts using a 1″ x 1 1/2″ heart shaped cookie cutter (I got 4 per slice and needed 8 hearts for my parfait).
- If desired using a pastry brush, brush pound cake with Malibu Rum on both sides (if serving to the kids – omit this step!).
- Slice strawberries, then cut out hearts using the same cookie cutter (If desired, but it does look amazing and makes a nice topper).
- Begin by filling bottom of glass with some coconut whipped cream.
- Layer with 4 pound cake hearts, and top with fruit and a sprinkling of shredded coconut.
- Repeat with another layer of whipped cream, the remaining pound cake, fruit and shredded coconut.
- Finish with a final swirl of whipped cream, a last sprinkle of shredded coconut and a strawberry heart topper.
Check out the Gay Lea website at www.gaylea.com, which includes great recipes and information on their products.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.