I love cottage cheese! Growing up cottage cheese was always in the fridge and incorporated in many different ways into meals. Sometimes mixed with fruit for a quick and healthy snack, or in the summer when it was too hot to cook dinner my Mom or Grandma would make a cold plate and include a portion of cottage cheese along with salad and cold meat. One of the things we always ate (and still do) was cottage cheese on toast. It is something my Gramps did and I have continued to eat since childhood. There is just something about warm crunchy toast with cool creamy cottage cheese on top. I just love it!
So once I had children one of the recipes I started making for them when they were toddlers was a cottage cheese and egg scramble. It makes such a delicious and healthy meal and there are so many great nutrition benefits to that combination of eggs and cottage cheese. Gay Lea’s Nordica Cottage Cheese is made from 100% Canadian dairy milk. It is also high in protein – just 1/2 cup provides 15g of protein that is low in fat. It is a great source of calcium and is gluten and nut free. Gay Lea also now makes Lactose Free Cottage Cheese!
The simple combination of eggs, cottage cheese and chives is so delicious! This recipe is a perfect protein packed start to the day (and great to nourish the kids before they head out in this cold weather!). I also styled it up as this would make a lovely Valentine’s Day breakfast. Just use a cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes from the bread you are using, toast, and serve with your eggs. How cute is that??
The recipe below is one portion, but double, triple, etc to make a larger portion.
- A small amount of butter to grease pan (Gay Lea of course!)
- 1 large organic egg (because it tastes so much better!)
- 2 tbsp 2% Nordica Cottage Cheese
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- A few grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- Serve with a piece of your favourite whole grain toast . . . and remember to try Gay Lea Cottage Cheese on top of it!
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat, and melt a small amount of butter in bottom of pan.
- Whisk together egg, cottage cheese, chives and pepper
- Scramble eggs in skillet until full cooked through.
- Remove eggs from heat to plate and serve with toast and fresh fruit.
Check out the Gay Lea website at www.gaylea.com, which includes great recipes and information on their products.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.