Moist, delicious and festive orange cranberry sour cream muffins featuring Gay Lea’s decadent Gold Premium Sour Cream, are the perfect beginning to your Christmas morning! In my family breakfast goodies are a must and a tradition on Christmas morning. These muffins are perfect, and include one of my favourite combinations – orange-cranberry all made even better by Gay Lea‘s incredibly rich and delicious Gold Premium Sour Cream (Wow these are good!!!). My darling daughters gobbled these muffins up and loved the special toppings I added that made them extra special. They love the sweet and sour goodness that the cranberries have and combined with orange and sour cream what is there not to love? These baked goodies would also make a lovely homemade gift over the holidays or hostess gift.
Gay Lea’s Gold Premium Sour Cream is Gay Lea‘s thickest, richest sour cream made with only 3 simple ingredients. I can tell you first hand it is delicious as I made sure to sample a nice spoonful to taste test (so creamy!). I also might have licked the batter off my spatula too (SO good in muffin batter!!).
Be sure to visit www.gaylea.com which includes great recipes and product information. Gay Lea also sends out monthly newsletters featuring great content, tips and coupons! You can sign up via their newsletter web page before December 17th to receive the latest newsletter featuring this month’s feature product: Sour Cream!
Recipe makes 1 dozen muffins.
- 1/4 cup Gay Lea Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 cup Gay Lea Gold Premium Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest (you 1 orange)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 orange), reserve the other 1/2 of the orange for making an orange glaze
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole cranberries
- For toppings: Turbinado Sugar (to add before baking) OR white chocolate chips & coconut oil (for a white chocolate drizzle) OR icing sugar and orange juice (for an orange glaze drizzle)
- Line a regular 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the 2 eggs and combine well.
- Add orange zest and orange juice and give a few stirs until incorporated.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk sour cream with milk until smooth and set aside until ready to add into batter.
- Add flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternating with the sour cream mixture in three additions. Combine gently, do not overmix.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Using a large cookie scoop divide batter evenly into the 12 paper liners. Add turbinado sugar to all or a few muffins for a crunchy sugar topping (about 1 tsp per muffin).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before adding white chocolate drizzle or orange glaze (if desired):
For the white chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate chips with a little bit of coconut oil, heating on 15 second increments in the microwave until smooth and the correct consistency for drizzling. You will need about 1 tbsp of chocolate chips for every 2 muffins . . . therefore 6 tbsp for the full dozen. I only used about 1/4 tsp of coconut oil for 2 tbsp chocolate chips, so you should only need about 3/4 tsp for 6 tbsp chips.
For the orange glaze combine 1/2 cup of icing sugar with orange juice from your reserved 1/2 orange. Add in small increments until the desired consistency for drizzling over the muffins.
Note: I chose to do 4 muffins with each topping which turned out really fun and everyone could choose their favourite!
This month Mom Central Canada has got an awesome reader giveaway for you! This month Mom Central Canada will be giving away ONE grand prize! To celebrate all of the delicious ways you can infuse sour cream into fun recipes, we’re giving away a KitchenAid Stand Mixer! Approximate value: $399.99. Mom Central Canada will also be giving away 1 year of free Gay Lea product (12 coupons for free Gay Lea product) to one reader, from each Gay Lea ambassador blog! The giveaway will be open from December 1, 2014-December 31, 2014. Both of these reader giveaways have the following rules: Readers may enter across many blogs, however they may only win on a single blog. Entrants must be a resident of Canada, however those in Quebec are unfortunately unable to enter the giveaway. Winner(s) can expect their prize in approximately 4-6 weeks! Click “Entry” to enter!: Entry
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.