Bored of your go-to breakfast? How about trying my delicious, quick and easy breakfast quesadillas? My 5 year old gobbled this up and loved dipping into the sour cream and guacamole (aka to her as “whackamole”). Mom and big sister enjoyed it very much too – very yummy! Big thumbs up from the kids. This would also make a great breakfast for dinner or brunch meal.
- 2 flour tortillas (original 7″ size) or other small tortilla (gluten-free, etc.)
- Coconut oil for greasing pans
- 1 large egg (I prefer free-range organic) whisked with 1 tsp of water
- 1 heaping tablespoon of your favourite salsa (I am loving Neal Brothers Organic Medium Salsa lately – and they are an Ontario based company!)
- 1/4 cup shredded light sharp cheddar cheese
- Guacamole & light sour cream for serving
- Cilantro to garnish (if desired)
- On one side of the stove heat a non-stick 8″ pan to medium with a small smear of coconut oil on one burner, while on the other side heat a non-stick griddle pan (like my handy dandy Friddle) or a larger frying pan on medium heat that will fit your tortillas, also greasing with a smear of coconut oil so you can crisp your tortillas nicely.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and prepare egg as you would an omelette, pulling sides back to let uncooked egg underneath. When egg is about half done lightly combine in salsa and cook until set.
- Place one tortilla onto the greased griddle pan or frying pan and then slide omelette out carefully with a large spatula and onto the tortilla. Top with shredded cheddar and place the second tortilla on top.
- Once bottom tortilla has crisped (take a sneak peak underneath), flip over carefully and crisp the other tortilla.
- When both sides are crispy remove the quesadilla to a cutting board and let sit for 2 minutes before cutting.
- Slice into 4 equal wedges, and serve with sour cream and guacamole and garnish with cilantro.