Boo! Happy Halloween everyone. This Halloween I am celebrating with scrumptious mini pumpkin spice cupcakes with “scream” cheese frosting and fun Halloween sprinkles. This is an amazingly delicious recipe that makes 24 perfect mini cupcakes and the perfect amount of frosting to top these little critters. I finished them off with awesome bat, ghost and pumpkin sprinkles that I found at my local Bulk Barn. I also found great “treat or treat” Wilton Halloween mini baking cups at the store that were just perfect to bake them in. These are the perfect Halloween treat, the cupcakes have great pumpkin spice flavour and the creamy tangy frosting is SO good!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup of cake & pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 10 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 6 tbsp pure pumpkin purée
For the “Scream” Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 oz light cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Line a mini muffin tin with mini baking cups and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment blend together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, milk and pumpkin and combine.
- Add in flour mixture and blend until incorporated.
- Divide equally among baking cups (I like using a small cookie scoop).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes and then transfer cupcakes carefully to a cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling prepare frosting.
- In your electric mixer, again using the paddle attachment, mix the icing sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy.
- Once cupcakes are cool transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with desired tip and pipe frosting onto tops of cupcakes, and then top with some fun Halloween sprinkles.
Cupcake recipe inspired by Martha Stewart Cupcakes “Pumpkin Patch Cupcakes” and frosting recipe based on Georgetown Cupcake’s cream cheese frosting recipe.