St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, so how about a really easy and yummy treat – adorable Shamrock Krispies. I picked up a 3″ Wilton Shamrock cookie cutter at Michael’s for $1.69 so I can experiment with all sorts of St. Patty’s day creations! These turned out so good!
Note: a full recipe below should yield 16-20 shamrocks (depending on size of your cookie cutter). Half the recipe if desired.
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal
- Green gel food colouring (I used Wilton Leaf Green)
- Over medium-low heat melt butter and marshmallows in a non-stick pan until smooth (I like to use my wok as it has high sides)
- Once melted, turn off heat and add vanilla and a small dollop of food colouring and mix until fully incorporated and your desired shade of green.
- Mix in Rice Krispies until incorporated well.
- Instead of placing into a baking dish, spread krispies out onto a large piece of parchment or wax paper making a large rectangle of even thickness (1/2″-1″). Using a metal frosting spatula works really well.
- Let harden slightly, and then using your cookie cutter, cut out as many shamrocks as you can.
- Note that if you don’t want to make shamrocks, just spread krispies into a 9 x 13 pan and cut into squares for an easy green treat. You can always embellish with a little melted white chocolate and shamrock sprinkles.