Delicious breakfast cookies packed with oats, coconut, nuts and dried fruit. The perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee or alongside fruit and yogurt. Also a great after-school treat for the kids!
- 1 1/2 cups of large flake oats, or your choice of gluten-free oats
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut (flaked or shredded)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of your choice of dried fruit – I used 1/4 cup each of diced dried apricot, currants, raisins and dried cranberries
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with silpat liners or parchment paper
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, salt, cinnamon, almond flour, nuts, and fruit.
- In a small bowl mix together egg, banana, oil, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine and coat all the dry ingredients well.
- To form cookies you can place a round cookie cutter (I used a 3″) on the baking sheet, and scoop 3 tbsp of “cookie dough” into the cutter (I happen to use my large cookie scoop). Press the “dough” down firmly with a small fork to form the cookie. Lift off the cookie cutter gently, leaving a nice uniform circle. You can also just use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and then press down “dough” with your hand or the bottom of a glass. Note that the cookies will not expand so you can place them close together. They will also seem delicate before baking, but after baking and cooling completely they are very easy to pick up without breaking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on the baking sheets.