Well this recipe is somewhat of a choose your own adventure type concoction! A little bit of this and a little bit of that, and what turned out was a really delicious healthy “fried rice” style meal. I didn’t want to settle with a stir fry with just quinoa, or just with cauliflower “rice” (grated or finely chopped cauliflower which appears like rice), so I added both and wow it was good! I picked up the cauliflower rice method from Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain Cookbook (highly recommend it!), and it is a great substitute for rice – delicious under stir-fry’s and saucy slow cooker recipes. Anyway, have fun playing and give the cauli-rice and quinoa combo a try, mix in your choice of veggies and meat or fish, or go 100% veg and you have a perfect “Meatless Monday” meal.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup no-salt added chicken broth (or water for cooking the quinoa)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- About half a head of cauliflower, grated, yielding about a heaping 2 cups of cauliflower “rice” (note: You can hand grate the cauliflower, use a grating attachment on a food processor. I chose to chop the cauliflower finely in my mini food processor and that worked well, however, I have to admit the grating attachment on my food processor works the best)
- 2 tbsp water
- Heaping 1 cup of broccoli, chopped fairly small
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned into thin strips (I used my handy julienne peeler)
- 1 small onion, halved, and thinly sliced into half rings
- 1/2 to 1 cup of diced peppers (your choice of red, orange, yellow or green)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- Soy sauce (or a soy substitute) to taste
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- If desired your choice of protein (chicken, salmon, shrimp, tofu) or leave it meatless . . . I happened to have a salmon fillet sitting in the freezer so I grilled it up and flaked it over the stir fry.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and green onion, and a drizzle of soy sauce (or substitute) if desired.
- In a medium saucepan, heat quinoa and broth (or water) over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large 12″ skillet with sesame oil over medium high heat. Add cauliflower and saute for a 2 minutes, adding 2 tbsp of water as you saute.
- Add in the rest of the veggies, garlic and ginger, and continue to saute until crisp-tender. Season with some soy sauce (or substitute) as you saute the veggies if desired.
- Once veggies are done and quinoa is fluffed after sitting for 5 minutes, fold quinoa into veggies and add 1 tbsp sesame seeds.
- Serve topped with meat, or fish, or tofu if desired, a drizzle of soy and topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and green onion.