Happy New Year! Well like everyone else, I am starting the New Year by getting back on track with healthy meals and snacks after a fantastic holiday season filled with delicious indulgences.
I thought I would give you a few of my favourite resources as well as some of my favourite clean and healthy recipes from the blog to help you kick off 2014 . . .
- I adore Janet and Greta Podleski and their Looneyspoons Collection cookbook, as well as the website resources, and brand new “Health Nuts” videos on You Tube. Their healthy chicken burgers (available at Costco) are also delicious!
- Love Quinoa? Then check out my fantastic quinoa recipes for salads and main dishes.
- After experiencing some annoying and painful digestive/gastro issues in 2013 (lactose and some others), I checked out Julie Daniluk’s website after watching her on the Marilyn Dennis Show. After some reading, I decided to invest in her book “Meals that Heal Inflammation“. I really found the book helpful and her website is a great resource.
- I am now a daily green smoothie devotee! Come on, jump on the green monster bandwagon with this yummy green smoothie recipe!
- I am loving Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain cookbook, and her blog againstallgrain.com. Her health story is very compelling, and I feel the book has been great in introducing me to paleo cooking. I don’t need to be gluten free, but I am noticing a difference in being what I like to call eating “gluten light”.
- My Power Waffles are an excellent breakfast choice, so good, and my kids LOVE them. Excellent to make-ahead, freeze, and then toast up in the morning.
- Another great blog is Oh She Glows from Angela Liddon (and she is literally next door to me over in Oakville, Ontario!). Her recipes are vegan and it is just another great resource to stretch your repertoire of healthy recipes. She also has her first book coming out in March.
- My kids can not be without a great muffin in their lunch and my Better Blueberry Banana Muffins or Pumpkin Banana Cranberry Muffins are the perfect addition to any lunchbox (kid or adult!).
- I really like Rose Reisman and her site – Art of Living Well. She has been doing this for over 20 years, and her advice, resources and recipes are great.
- I have switched exclusively to Almond Milk (even the kids like it sometimes in their cereal), and they especially like it in smoothies! Try my Almond Milk, Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie or Vanilla Cherry Almond Smoothie.
- I have made a commitment to “Meatless Mondays” and “Fishy Fridays“, as it is a great way to “force” yourself to cook at least one meatless meal a week and once a week with fish. And if I don’t feel like cooking on Friday – our favourite sushi place is always on speed dial!
- Other random faves of mine . . .
- As an afternoon snack I love to cut up an apple and dip it into a dollop of natural almond butter
- I love Biobest Plain Probiotic Yogurt and you won’t see my fridge without it
- I am in love with PC’s Carmalized Vidalia Onion Hummus – the kids love it too, great for dipping carrots!
- Fave cereal is Nature’s Path Sunrise Crunchy Vanilla (super yum with almond milk)
Hope these links and resources give you some ideas and a boost to get your healthy on to start 2014!