A delicious and muffin recipe chock-full of cherries, and topped with yummy streusel! Check out my recipe on momstown.ca: http://momstown-meals.momstown.ca/node/653, and be sure to check out their Christmas morning breakfast traditions for more recipe ideas!
For the streusel topping:
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
For the muffins:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher (coarse) salt
- 3/4 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 cup frozen cherries, quartered or halved depending on size
- Begin by making crumble by combining the butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a mini food processor to make a fine crumble (or use two knives or your hands!). Place in the fridge to stay cold while you make the muffins.
- Line a regular 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners and pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the 2 eggs and combine well.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture, alternating with the buttermilk in three additions.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and gently fold in the cherries.
- Using a large cookie scoop divide batter evenly into the 12 paper liners.
- Divide crumble evenly over the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack.