Fun new recipe for Cookie Week Day 3! I had seen Funfetti cookies on Pinterest, and I thought they would be adorable as red and green Christmas Cookies. The results were great and they were a hit with the kids – who doesn’t love sprinkles? A nice basic sugar cookie filled with oodles of crunchy sprinkles. Have fun trying this recipe!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of Kosher (coarse) salt
- 3/4 cup of red and green sprinkles (the long thin ones, aka “jimmies” in the US)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Add in egg and extracts and mix again until light and fluffy (another 2-3 minutes).
- While wet ingredients are mixing, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix in dry ingredients into mixer while on low just until combined.
- Fold in sprinkles with a spatula.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
- Remove bowl from fridge and using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tbsp capacity) scoop 24 dough portions out onto the baking sheets.
- Flatten the tops of the dough portions slightly with your hand, forming a 2 inch “coin”.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes, they should not brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Recipe makes two dozen 2 3/4″ cookies.
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks.