I like to be on the cutting edge of food trends and impress Santa when he comes by our house on Christmas Eve. For 2013 the treat of the year is the baked donut. I am having too much fun with my new donut pan (and they are everywhere – just check out the baking pan section in your favourite store – I found mine at Target). Impress Santa and your family with these mouth-watering classic vanilla buttermilk donuts with chocolate glaze and festive sprinkles.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
For chocolate glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- your choice of festive sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 6-donut capacity donut pan
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar with a whisk until incorporated.
- In another bowl combine the melted butter, egg, buttermilk and vanilla with the whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and using a spatula stir gently until smooth.
- Spoon the batter equally into the donut pan
- Bake for 12 minutes, remove and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- As the donuts cool prepare the glaze by combining the icing, sugar, cocoa, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth. If you feel the glaze is too think, add additional buttermilk 1/2 tsp at a time.
- Dunk the tops of the donuts into the glaze and top immediately with sprinkles.
- Let rest for about 15-30 minutes until the glaze has set.