Super awesome apple cranberry muffins that you must try!
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen), halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (for sprinkling on apples) plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar for batter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine apples, cranberries, lemon juice, cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar and stir to coat. Set aside until ready to add to the batter.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a large spoon.
- Add in eggs and buttermilk and whisk to combine until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to incorporate.
- Add in the apple-cranberry mixture.
- Divide evenly into muffin liners, and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.