One of my favourite places on earth is Cape Cod, and it is the home of everything cranberry including amazing cranberry bread. For me, there is just something about the combination of cranberries and orange that makes me think of the holidays and this loaf is a delicious festive treat. Serve with tea or coffee, or package for a holiday hostess gift.
Link to the Cranberry Bread recipe here on momstown.ca or see below.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour, spooned and levelled
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about the juice of one large orange)
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest (the zest of one orange)
- 1 heaping cup of fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
For the glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In another bowl combine egg, orange juice and zest, water, and butter.
4. Mix wet ingredients into dry and mix to combine. Fold in the cranberries.
5. Transfer batter to the loaf pan and bake for one hour (test with a toothpick).
6. Let the loaf cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from pan to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Once loaf is cool, prepare glaze by combining icing sugar, milk, and zest and drizzle over the loaf.
Note: You can choose to add nuts (walnuts or pecans) if desired, but I like to keep it nut-free so I can send it to school.