This is one of my family’s all time favourite dinners and comfort meals. Everyone loves it, my kids, my husband, my parents, my grandma. I was raised with eastern European food influences from my Polish grandparents, and part of that was enjoying products from the famous local delicatessen Denninger’s opened by German immigrants in 1953 in Hamilton, Ontario where my grandparents had also settled. The store’s reputation was earned among its European clientele in Hamilton who had immigrated to Canada following the Second World War (like my grandparents), and with its growing popularity expanded to 6 stores in the Hamilton-Burlington area. Lucky for me there is also a store in my hometown of Burlington, Ontario so I am now able to continue the tradition of this store’s incredible and delicious products with my family.
My favourite sausage, is Denninger’s Spinach Sausage which is a mix of spinach, onions, veal, pork, herbs and spices. They are delicious and a special treat (we do not eat sausage regularly!). Now for me these must be served with perogies, boiled then browned up with onion. Perfection! Serve with a steamed veg or salads and you have a beautiful and delicious meal.
- 4 Spinach Sausages, cut into bite size chunks for grilling
- 2 small onions, halved, and then thinly sliced
- 1 package of your favourite cheese and potato perogies (I have used Cheemo, and no-name brand from Loblaws)
- 1 heaping tbsp of butter for grilling the onions and perogies
- Freshly ground pepper and a pinch of dill weed for seasoning the perogies
- A head of broccoli or another veggie side or salad
- Mustard for serving with the sausage (My husband likes Dijon, the kids like honey mustard, and I like sharp “Honeycup Mustard”)
- Sour cream for serving with the perogies
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add perogies, and follow package instructions for cooking time.
- Drain perogies and add to large pan with butter.
- Grill perogies until browned along with the onions Season with freshly ground pepper and a pinch of dill.
- Once perogies are browned, set to warm while grilling the sausage.
- In another pan grill sausage with onion until nicely browned.
- Serve with sour cream for the perogies, mustard for the sausage and with a vegetable of your choice or side salad.