I picked up a box of Freekeh, after seeing it in a magazine and thought I would give it a try. Freekeh is labeled as a “supergrain” and is roasted green wheat. It is a high source of fibre, and also a source of both prebiotics and probiotics and contains iron, zinc, potassium and calcium. I decided to try a greek style salad with it throwing in tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, black olives and feta and dressing it simply with olive oil, lemon juice and parsley.
- 1 box of Freekeh, prepared as per the package instructions
- 1 cup of quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 cup of quartered english cucumber
- 1/4 cup of sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup of finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of crumbled light feta cheese
- Coarse (Kosher) salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare Freekeh according to the package instructions, drain, place in a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Combine Freekeh with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, red onion, and parsley.
- Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, and then pour over the salad and combine.
- Mix in the feta, taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.