This is a delicious recipe from the Looneyspoons collection cookbook which they call “Stick ’em Up”. It is a great marinated and grilled shrimp recipe, that is fast and easy to make. Delicious for shrimp alone, or for a surf and turf meal with steak or chicken. I have adapted the recipe to serve 4.
- 1 lb (454g) package of frozen large or jumbo shrimp that are deveined (I chose PC brand Raw Zipperback Pacific White Shrimp – even better is that they were on sale for $5.99!) – Defrosted (as per package instructions) and shell removed if desired before marinading and grilling. Note: I have prepared these both ways – with and without the shell on. If you shell the shrimp you have all the work up front, if you leave the shell on you need to remove before eating once cooked.
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Melted Butter or Margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp coarse (Kosher) salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Prepare marinade by adding lemon juice, olive oil, butter, dijon, honey, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, balsamic, salt, pepper and basil in a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Pour marinade into a large size freezer bag and add shrimp. Marinate for one hour in the fridge.
- Pre-heat your grill to high heat.
- As the grill preheats, thread shrimp onto wooden skewers (5-6 per skewer). Note: my package had 35 shrimp so I prepared 7 skewers x 5 shrimp each.
- Grill shrimp for only 2 minutes per side, just until shrimp turns pink. Overcooking will result in rubbery shrimp.
- Enjoy your shrimp with your favourite sides, as part of a buffet, or a surf and turf dinner, or try as an appetizer for a cocktail party- would work really well with 2-3 per skewer.