I was craving penne tossed with fresh summer veggies and this was awesome! A fresh and tasty combination of good quality penne with yellow and green zucchini, cremini mushrooms, red onion, grape tomatoes, fresh basil and grated Parmesan. Substitute pasta as needed (gluten free, whole wheat, etc.).
- 1 lb Penne pasta
- 227g package of sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Coarse (Kosher) salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- 8-10 basil leaves, chopped into chiffonade
- Heat a large pot of boiling water and cook penne according to directions.
- While penne cooks, heat a large saute pan with the 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add in mushrooms, zucchini, onion and garlic and saute until softened – about 5-7 minutes. Season with a few pinches of salt and some grinds of freshly ground black pepper.
- Add in tomatoes and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. season with some more salt and pepper.
- While the tomatoes are cooking add in 1/2 cup of pasta water to help create the sauce for the pasta. The pasta water will help break up the bits on the bottom of the pan, and some will evaporate.
- Once the penne has finished cooking, drain and add into the pan of veggies.
- Add the Parmesan and basil to the pasta and toss all together to combine.
- Serve and top with additional grated or shaved Parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.