Ooey gooey yummy bbq potatoes! A perfect side dish for your summer grilling.
- 2 russet potatoes, washed and cut into small chunks
- 1 medium cooking onion, diced
- Small amount of canola oil/or reserved bacon fat (for sauteing onions and potatoes)
- Kosher (coarse) salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 slices of bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1 cup of grated light old cheddar cheese (or your desired combination of cheese – cheddar/mozzarella/monteray jack)
- Place potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl and cook for 2 minutes. Stir, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir once more and then cook for 1 more minute. This pre-cooking helps get the potatoes going and avoids having “raw” potatoes off the grill.
- As potatoes pre-cook in the microwave, heat a large skillet on medium-high heat with a small amount of oil or reserved bacon fat from when you cooked your bacon.
- Add the onion and cook until slightly softened and getting translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the potatoes and cook with the onions for 5 minutes. Season with a bit more salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Tear 2 large sheets of non-stick aluminum foil and lay crossing over each other.
- Pour potato/onion mixture onto the foil.
- Add chives and Parmesan over potatoes.
- Wrap aluminum foil over potatoes to create a sealed package.
- Place potatoes on grill over direct medium heat for 20 minutes to finish cooking the potatoes through.
- Open the packet and top with grated cheese and bacon. Let melt for 1-2 minutes, then remove packet carefully from grill onto a large plate.