I have been lucky enough to get to know and work with an amazing lady who teaches my youngest daughter at preschool. We also share a love of good food, and she is especially knowledgeable about healthy food. As an end of year gift she gave all of the school Board members a batch of her homemade “Yummy Granola”. It is excellent (love the coconut and cashews) and I can’t wait to make a batch. Thank you to Fiona for sharing – I am excited that her contribution is making a guest appearance on my blog!
- 4 cups old fashioned (large flake) rolled oats – do not use quick cooking
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 2 cups dried fruit (optional) – cranberries, blueberries, apricots (sliced)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss oats, coconut, and almonds in a large bowl. Note: You can choose to throw in the cashews now and bake them with the oats, coconut and almonds, or add them in step 6. Both methods work – try both and see what you like better!
- Melt honey and coconut oil together in a small saucepan. Once melted pour over oat mixture and stir until well coated.
- Pour onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring frequently until the granola is light golden brown. Don’t walk away – watch the granola carefully.
- Once golden, remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Transfer to an airtight container, and add cashews and dried fruit if desired. Recipe makes 12 cups of granola.