I was inspired the other day watching the show The Chew at the gym, when Mario Batali was making a yummy dish that I had not tried before, Asparagus Milanese which is simply asparagus with a cooked egg on top. It is easy and delicious and only needs a few ingredients. After watching the show I was able to recreate my own dish. If you love asparagus and eggs sunny side up you must give it a try. It is a dish you can serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Recipe below is for one, but multiply as needed for as many as you are serving.
- 6-8 spears of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 egg (I prefer organic free range – I think they taste better)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling over finished dish
- Kosher (coarse) salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat a grill pan to medium high.
- Season asparagus with 1/2 tsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Turn to coat.
- Place asparagus on the grill pan and grill until softened and charred, about 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile pre-heat a small non-stick saute pan with 1/2 tsp olive oil to medium heat. Crack one egg into pan and cook sunny side up slowly until cooked but yolk will still be a bit runny. Season egg with a pinch of salt and pepper as it cooks.
- Place asparagus on a plate or shallow bowl, and serve with egg on top. Scatter Parmesan cheese on top, and finish with a small drizzle of olive oil if desired. Serve with a nice piece of multigrain or other bread to make a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner.