A delicious Asian twist on quinoa salad. A perfect side to grilled salmon or chicken prepared with an Asian/Teriyaki glaze. We had this along side the Hoisin-Honey and Lime Salmon and it was terrific! Recipe serves 4 as a side, double if needed.
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced small
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper, diced small
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup of broccoli or carrot slaw (note: I used PC brand Carrot Slaw which is a blend of carrot, broccoli stalks and red cabbage, they were out of Broccoli Slaw, which is exactly the same blend except more broccoli than carrot)
- 1/2 cup of asparagus cut into small pieces (about 1/2″ in length)
- 2 green onions, finely sliced (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- For the dressing: 1 tbsp freshly squeeze lime juice, 1 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar, and 1 tsp sesame oil
- Prepare quinoa with broth or water according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, In a medium saute pan add 1 tsp of sesame oil and heat to medium high.
- Add the red and yellow peppers, onion, and garlic and saute for about 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the asparagus and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Finally add in the slaw and soften slightly for 2 minutes with the veggies. Remove from heat and set aside until quinoa is cooked.
- Prepare dressing by combining lime juice, seasoned rice wine vinegar and sesame oil, and whisking together with a fork.
- To prepare the salad toss the quinoa with the veggies, green onions, sesame seeds, peanuts, cilantro, and the dressing and combine well to coat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.