I found the perfect trick to baked crispy sweet potato fries – cornstarch.
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into french fry sized sticks
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A sprinkling of Kosher (coarse) salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (amount to your taste ground over the fries)
- Paprika (optional to your taste – I just use a small sprinkling over the fries – also gives them a nice colour)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line two baking sheets with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Place cut potatoes in a ziploc bag, add cornstarch and shake to coat potatoes. **Note: I have also just tossed the potatoes with the cornstarch in a large bowl. I think the ziploc method works better for an even coating, but a bowl works fine too.
- Divide sweet potato fries between the two baking sheets and toss with olive oil (1 tbsp per baking sheet), salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes for even browning. Note: because I used to baking trays I needed to use 2 oven racks. Every 10 minutes I turned the fries and rotated the pans from rack to rack so they baked evenly.
- Serve with your favourite dipper – we like chili ketchup mixed with sriracha.
Note: For just my husband and I as a side, one large sweet potato is more than enough, so if only serving 2 just halve the recipe and use 1 baking sheet.