I was inspired by an easy Pinterest recipe and I kicked it up with some veggies and my own blend of spices. The chicken turned out delicious and tender (I was eating it right out of the crock pot). Recipe got two thumbs up from the kids and my husband! Super yummy taco night!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz jar of salsa (approx 453 ml) – your choice of heat, I used medium
- 1 yellow pepper, diced small
- 1 small cooking onion, diced small
- Spice Blend: 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp coarse (kosher) salt, 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne. You can use a 35g package of taco seasoning (preferably low sodium) – I prefer skipping the packaged blend as it still has additives that I would prefer not to eat when I can make my own.
- 1 tsp tabasco or you could add some chipotle chiles in adobo (1 tbsp or more depending on how hot you like it!)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Flour Tortillas (white, whole wheat or whole grain) or you could use hard shell tacos **recipes makes lots – we filled 2 packages of 10 small flour tortillas.
- Toppings – lettuce, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, etc.
- In a large bowl combine the jar of salsa with the onion, yellow pepper, spice blend and tabasco.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker (I have a 6 quart), cover with the sauce and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, remove the chicken to a large bowl.
- Add the cornstarch to the sauce and set back to high and bring the sauce back to a bubble, and then turn off or back to warm (you just need enough time for the cornstarch to absorb and thicken the sauce a bit).
- While you are waiting for the sauce to bubble and thicken, shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and combine with the sauce.
- Spoon into tortillas/tacos and dress with your favourite toppings.
Note: Cooking times will vary from slow cooker to slow cooker. I have a 6 quart crock pot so this recipe was right on at high for 5 hours. The time recommendation is High for 4-6 hours or Low for 6-8 hours.