This is a really easy and delicious weeknight dinner recipe that comes together quickly and is especially husband friendly (hubby loved it and was raving about the sausage in his pasta) and the kids loved it too. The chicken & turkey sausages are a nice light and lean alternative (found them at Costco). The recipe yields enough for 4, but you can double it easily to feed more.
- 1/2 lb of Rigatoni pasta (half the box)
- 3 lean chicken & turkey sausages, sliced into bite sized pieces (I used Simple Choices Naturals Chicken and Turkey sausages – Sun Dried Tomato & Basil flavour that were available at Costco – but look for other lean choices or a sausage of your choice)
- 650ml jar of your favourite pasta sauce (I like Classico, and used Spicy Red Pepper for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring a large pot salted water to a boil, and cook pasta according to directions.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and cook sausage until lightly browned.
- Once sausage has cooked through, turn the heat down to medium-low and pour in the jar of pasta sauce and stir to combine with the sausage. Add in the sun dried tomatoes, stir and let the sauce simmer.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add into the sauce and toss lightly.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.