Delicious quinoa salad with spinach, red peppers, cranberries, and pecans with an orange-olive oil dressing. This salad yields enough for 4 side portions. Double if making for more, or for a potluck dish.
- 1 cup of vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red pepper
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons of orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup of crumbled light feta cheese (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth and quinoa to a boil. Place a lid on the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 min. Remove cover, fluff with fork, and pour quinoa into a serving bowl.
- Heat a small skillet to medium-high with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Cook red pepper for 2-3 minutes until softened, seasoning with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Remove skillet from heat and stir in spinach, letting it wilt when mixed with the red pepper. Pour red pepper and spinach mixture into the quinoa and combine.
- Add the cranberries and pecans.
- In a small dish combine orange juice and the 1 tablespoon olive oil and whisk with a fork to combine. Pour over the salad and toss lightly.
- Season the salad with some freshly ground pepper and add the feta cheese if desired.
- Serve at room temperature.