Wow, is all we could say when we ate this. Tender, juicy perfectly grilled steak (thanks to my hubby’s stellar grilling skills) with sweet slow-cooked cremini mushrooms and Vidalia onions seasoned with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic. This may be the best steak dinner we have ever made!
- 2 large or 4 smaller steaks (choose your favourite cut), grilled to your liking
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion (or other large sweet onion)
- 227g (8 oz) package of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 hearty tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to season
Directions (for the balsamic mushrooms & onions):
- Heat a large skillet to medium with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Add onions, season with a sprinkle of salt and a few grinds of pepper, and cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly translucent
- Add mushrooms to onions and stir to combine
- Add the balsamic to the mushrooms and onions and stir to combine.
- Turn heat down to medium low, season again with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and place a lid on the skillet and let the onions, mushrooms and balsamic cook slowly and reduce. Stir occasionally over 10-20 minutes, keeping an eye on the process and how the onions and mushrooms are doing. Once the onions and mushrooms have softened and absorbed the liquid, taste for a quick check, and then once you have determined they are done remove from the heat.
- Top your perfectly grilled steaks with the mushrooms and onions and enjoy!