This is a salad recipe that has come into my repertoire and regular rotation that I have adapted from Ina Garten’s Cape Cod Chopped Salad (the original recipe is posted on barefootcontessa.com). I liked the flavours, toppings and dressing, and it has paired nicely with a pecan crusted chicken I have done (yummy and yes still to post!). However, one night all I had were some frozen breaded chicken breast chunks and it turned out really delicious (for my Canadian readers I used PC Blue Menu Breaded Chicken Breast Chunks with Flaxseed). Both my husband and I really loved the breaded chicken on the salad, made a delicious salad for dinner meal.
As usual with my salad recipes, I never measure (sorry!). I just eyeballed and arranged a plateful for my husband and I after the kids had their portions of chicken! Moms, you know we just “make it happen” when we need to! The dressing amounts however are measured.
- Cooked breaded chicken breast chunks (I like PC Blue Menu Breaded Chicken Breast Chunks with Flaxseed), or some grilled chicken
- A big handful of mixed greens of your choice
- One diced apple (skin on) of your choice (I had Empire on hand)
- A handful of fresh chopped pecans (not toasted)
- A handful of dried cranberries
- A sprinkling of crumbled blue cheese
Dressing Ingredients (enough for 2 salad portions):
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 1/4 tsp dijon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of kosher salt (or more to taste – I don’t like overdoing the salt)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil